Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:48:37
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Alabama drops sales tax on groceries to 3%
- Joey King Marries Steven Piet in Spain Wedding
- Lab-grown palm oil could offer environmentally-friendly alternative
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Peacock, Big Ten accidentally debut 'big turd' sign on Michigan-East Carolina broadcast
- Bodies of two adults and two children found in Seattle house after fire and reported shooting
- What happened in the 'Special Ops: Lioness' season finale? Yacht extraction, explained
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- MLB power rankings: Rangers, Astros set to clash as 3-team race with Mariners heats up
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Burning Man flooding: What happened to stranded festivalgoers?
- Takeaways from AP’s reporting on efforts to restore endangered red wolves to the wild
- Largest wildfire in Louisiana history was caused by arson, state officials say
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- What’s at stake when Turkey’s leader meets Putin in a bid to reestablish the Black Sea grain deal
- Coco Gauff tells coach Brad Gilbert to stop talking during her US Open win over Caroline Wozniacki
- Northwestern AD Derrick Gragg lauds football team's 'resilience' in wake of hazing scandal
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Upward of 20,000 Ukrainian amputees face trauma on a scale unseen since WWI
Ex-Smash Mouth vocalist Steve Harwell enters hospice care, 'being cared for by his fiancée'
Racism in online gaming is rampant. The toll on youth mental health is adding up
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
A second person has died in a weekend shooting in Lynn that injured 5 others
Aerosmith Peace Out: See the setlist for the iconic band's farewell tour
Burning Man Festival 2023: One Person Dead While Thousands Remain Stranded at After Rain